MEMBERS NEWSLETTER - MARCH 2021
Wellington Bowling Club
Summer Season - Your questions answered?
- The members of the Executive Committee have continued monthly meetings throughout the pandemic mostly by Zoom. (The minutes are all published on the Club website.) We have been working on your behalf to keep the Club premises in good condition and attend to daily club business. The committee have also been involved with the Clubroom refurbishment and purchasing of equipment.
- The Government's Plan - Outdoor Sports will be allowed and this includes Bowling but we understand that there may be some restrictions.
- Bowls England have issued a statement that they are working through the various implications and will be publishing a 'Return to play Guidance' to all affiliated clubs that will allow Outside Bowls to be played in a "Covid safe" environment. When this becomes available we will make all the necessary arrangements at the club and advise members of the Rules of Play.
- The official Opening of the Green has been cancelled but the Green will be available for play to start on 12th April as originally planned.
- The work to the Clubhouse is almost complete with just a few small problems to resolve but there is nothing that will prevent us from opening.
- Jay Merrell has worked hard to formulate a fixture list that includes all the Men's Somerset and Devon League matches, all the Ladies League matches, the Mixed League and over 70 Friendly matches. So there will be plenty of bowling at home and away for everyone. Copies of the Fixture Sheets are available on our website and there will be hard copies available for those members who do not have email.
- We are also hoping to run club competitions during the summer but we are not arranging these until we are confident that enough rinks will be available.
- Paul Kelly and his Green Team have been working hard all through the Lockdowns and have been mowing and applying treatment to the grass surface so that it will be in excellent condition ready for the 12th April 2021.
- The Club Member Registration Forms will be distributed at the end of March. We ask all members to return their form promptly with their annual subscriptions by May 1st as this saves a great deal of administrative work. Please Note - Members who have not paid by the due date are not allowed to participate in any matches or use the club facilities after May 1st 2021. (As non-members they are not covered by the Club Insurance and are not affiliated to Bowls England.)
- Indoor Only Members - it is hoped that the Indoor Rink can be opened on May 17th in accordance with the new Government Road Map but this is uncertain at the moment. We would remind members that the annual membership fee now applies from May 1st each year so you should register before this date. For Indoor members who want to play all through the year, we are considering running some Summer competitions if there is a demand.
- We currently have a waiting list for Lockers - anyone not paying the locker fee with the Registration Form will have their locker emptied and it will be re-allocated.
- The Bar will be re-stocked as soon as we are permitted to open it.
- Club Shirts - There is only a limited supply! Price £20 each. Ring Brian 652863
- Finally, we suggest that you check your bowling gear and get it ready as there are only six weeks to go!
Find Wellington Bowling Club
Corams Lane, Wellington, Somerset, TA21 8LL
There is free parking in the Leisure Centre car park which is immediately adjacent to the Bowling Club. Wheelchair access is via the ramp at the corner of the green where Corams Lane joins Springfield Road.